Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah US
Alt ID: 958
Job ID: R0000948
To apply to a Varex Imaging position, please create an account and sign-in.
CURRENT VAREX IMAGING EMPLOYEES: Please apply by logging into your internal Workday Account .
Want to be added to our Talent Community? Click Here
Summary Varex Imaging is introducing a new series of x-ray tubes and control electronics based on carbon nano technology to support our broad range of x-ray tube products. You will be joining a diverse R&D group that develops high end x-ray tube solutions for our OEM partners.
- 3D CAD design using SolidWorks for the test fixtures, equipment, and x-ray tube assembly;
- Synthesis and processing of nanotube materials;
- Purification of nanotube materials using wet chemical process;
- Nanotube paste formulation and production;
- Screen printing of conducting paste on ceramic substrates (ceramic substrate metallization);
- Screen printing of nanotube paste on ceramic substrates;
- Ceramic parts to metal brazing;
- High temperature firing / sintering;
- Performing laboratory tests to produce reliable and precise data to support research and development;
- Carrying out routine tasks accurately and following strict methodologies to carry out analyses;
- Constructing, maintaining and operating standard laboratory equipment, for example vacuum pumps, vacuum chambers, high temperature furnaces, high voltage power supplies, multi-meters, high shear mixer, sonicate cleaners, thinky mixer, 3-roll mill, viscometer, screen printer, and optical system, etc;
- Mechanical design of testing setup, experimental apparatus and testing systems;
- Interface programming for integrated control of testing equipment and automatic collecting of testing data;
- Preparing specimens and samples;
- Assembling testing structures and testing systems;
- Vacuum chamber / system bake-out and evacuation;
- Ensuring the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced;
- Interpreting results sometimes to present to senior colleagues;
- Using computers and performing mathematical calculations for the preparation of graphs;
- Keeping up to date with technical developments;
- Conducting searches on identified topics relevant to the research;
- Following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks.
- Ability to Travel (5%-10%)
- 2-5 years of 3D CAD design experience, preferably using SolidWorks or similar tools
- 2-5 years of engineering experience, such as: mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, applied physics, metallurgy, materials, manufacturing processes, electron beam manipulation and control, chemical cleaning and surface preparation processes.
- Experience using Solidworks for mechanical design and simulation (mechanical & thermal)
- Familiar with interfacing to analog and digital controls, control and feedback, and test software tools (such as Labview or other similar system)
- Experience generating requirements, specifications, defining test methods, criteria, protocols, and validation
- Experience performing laboratory tests to produce reliable and precise data to support research and development
- Experience in a cleanroom environment
- Highly motivated and self-driven
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Demonstrated desire and ability to learn and apply what is learned
- Demonstrated success in driving products to market
- Bachelors Degree in an applicable engineering field, and 2-5 years of related experience (described above)
- (or) Masters Degree in an applicable engineering field, and 1 year of related experience (described above)
Pay Rate Type:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
City: Salt Lake City
Location City: Salt Lake City
Location State: Utah
Community / Marketing Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
EEO Employer Verbiage:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.